the capture of Fort Niagara on December 19, 1813, British troops
and their Native Allies crossed the Niagara River and burned the
Village of Lewiston. Several people were killed (the number varies
from six to 30) and the residents fled eastward along the Ridge
Road to communities in Central New York.
Then Plan of
Lewiston in 1816
General Murray was overtaking Fort Niagara, British General Phineas
Riall and one thousand men and several hundred Indians, crossed
the river to destroy Lewiston. When the signal came that Fort Niagara
was in the hands of the British, Riall and his band descended on
the village. At dawn on December 19, 1813, with only a few minutes
notice, the inhabitants of Lewiston were roused from their beds
and hearths by the whoops of hundreds of “western” Indians
at their doorsteps. The atrocities that followed were almost unspeakable.
Dozens of men, women and even children were scalped and hacked to
death by the tomahawk, buildings were burned with people still inside,
and frantic survivors fled east on the Ridge Road in wagons, sleighs
and other conveyances.
to Historical Association of Lewiston website: historiclewiston.org/history.html
The Little Yellow
House on Center Street (next to the Frontier House) in 1816.
It is the oldest building in Lewiston.