landed here on the early morning of December 19, 1813 & walked
five miles to capture Fort Niagara.
the early morning hours of December 19, 1813, over 500 men under
the commander of British General John Murray, crossed the river
from Queenston and landed at a place called the Five Mile Meadow
(now directly across from Stella Niagara). Silently they marched
north along the River Road through snow and wind to Fort Niagara.
On the way they encountered a number of pickets that were without
sentries and were able to quickly dispatch the troops with bayonets.
story that is told locally is about the little stone structure
on the shore of the Niagara River at the foot of the hill at Five
Mile Meadow. The building is now owned by Stella Niagara and used
as a chapel. Legend has it that this building was used by the
American army as a supply or ammunition depot during the War of
1812. A couple of facts blow holes into this theory. First of
all, it was at this point that the British landed on the night
of December 19, 1813. In all the accounts of that landing, there
is no mention of finding a structure at the site of the landing.
Secondly, the building has windows which probably would not have
been the case if ammunition was stored in the structure. One amazing
fact about this building is that during the great ice jam of 1909
this structure was unaffected by the ice and continued to stand
with no damage while other structures along the shoreline were
destroyed by ice.