Map Site 30: Lake Road
by the U.S military in 1811 between Fort Niagara and Van Horn’s
Mill on 18 Mile Creek in Newfane.
Lake Road was built in 1811 by the U.S. Army to facilitate the transportation
of grain and flour between Fort Niagara and Van Horn’s Mill.
Van Horn’s was the only grist mill west of the Genesee River.
The Army was using the mill to process flour for use at Fort Niagara.