1805 John Forsyth and his wife Mary came to Cambria and built a log
tavern at this location. John died in 1812, leaving Mary a widow with
two children alone in the wilderness. During the War, militia units
were dispatched along the Ridge Road to find deserters and check the
British movements in the area. Ezra Warren was a member of one of
these militia units and frequently stopped at the Forsythe tavern.
He apparently developed a fondness for the widow Forsythe and after
the War returned there and married her. Ezra Warren kept the tavern
at the corners that soon became known by his name. It was also at
this point that the refugees from Lewiston divided up, some staying
on the Ridge Road and going further east towards Gaines in Orleans
County or taking what was the Lewiston Road and heading in a southeast
direction toward Batavia in Genesee County.