Built in c. 1760,
this fort was occupied by the Americans at the beginning of the
War but was captured and burned by the British in December 1813.
Originally located at the end of Portage Road on the River.
Schlosser was the British successor to the French Fort Du Portage.
Built in 1760, it was at the southern end of the Niagara portage.
It was supposedly named for a German mercenary who fought for the
British during the French and Indian War and who was responsible
for the construction of the fort. John Stedman, the British “Portage
Master” built himself a house at Fort Schlosser and remained
there until 1796 when Fort Niagara was finally turned over to the
Americans. By 1812, Fort Schlosser was on land then owned by the
Porter family who had a thriving forwarding business at the southern
end of the portage. Porter turned Stedman’s house into a tavern.
In 1813 the Fort was briefly rearmed and manned by a small garrison
of soldiers. The Fort and tavern were later burned by the British
in December 1813. Historic Marker on the Canadian side of the River
reads: “At daybreak on July 5, 1813, a British and Canadian
force, consisting of some 35 Militia and a small detachment of the
49th Regiment, embarked in this vicinity to attack Fort Schlosser.
The American depot (now within Niagara Falls, NY), was situated
at the southern end of the Lewiston Portage, and was an important
military trans-shipment point. The attacking force, commanded by
Lt-Col Thomas Clark of the 2nd Regiment, Lincoln Militia, surprised
the U.S. garrison and encountered little resistance. They captured
a gunboat, two bateaux, a brass cannon and a substantial quantity
of small arms and supplies. While re-embarking, they were attacked
by local American Militia but suffered no casualties.”